Where do Murray Murrumbidgee Lachlan Darling meet ?
Murray Darling Basin
Studying geography at school, that was always going to be an interesting answer, never seemed to get answered fully, the way Wikipedia and Google Maps helps us today
Ok, this one's going to be a work in progress let's get started. I'll tidy it up as I go. Many of these places are pretty tiny towns, still.
Click here for a larger copy of the map on the right, as a separate page.
- The Murray River, the boundary between NSW and Victoria
It continues to flow west, crossing into South Australia, before it turns south and meets the Southern Ocean at Lake Alexandrina, at the town of Murray Bridge, 80 kms south east of Adelaide.
- It meets up with the Hume Highway at Albury-Wodonga.
- the Newell Highway at Tocumwal.
- the Murrumbidgee River at Boundary Bend, 130 kms south-east of Mildura.
- the Sturt Highway at Buronga in NSW (under the George Chaffey Bridge) 10 kms north of Mildura.
- the Darling River at Wentworth in NSW, 30 kms north west of Buronga.
- The Murrumbidgee River first meets up with the Molonglo River just west of Canberra. Click here for some further notes on how the Molonglo River makes its way through Canberra.
- It then crosses under the Hume Highway near Gundagai, which is also where the Sturt Highway travelling west to Adelaide begins (technically 3 kms west of Gundagai) at Tarcutta. The Sturt Highway now follows the line of the Murrumbidgee River.
- The Newell Highway crosses the Sturt Highway (and the Murrumbidgee River) at Narrandera, 160 kms west of Gundagai, and 100 kms west of Wagga Wagga.
- Finally, as mentioned earlier, the Murrumbidgee River flows into the Murray River at Boundary Bend in Victoria, 130 kms south east of Mildura.
- The Lachlan River doesn't meet up with the Hume Highway. It meets up with the Newell Highway at Forbes. It flows into the Murrumbidgee River at a tiny town called Oxley.
- The Darling River starts way up in the north of NSW from inflow coming from the Barwon River at Brewarrina and the Culgoa River, a continuation of the Balonne River in Southern Queensland at Cubbie Station, Dirranbandi and St George. Its first major town in NSW is Bourke in NSW, famous for the "back of Bourke" Aussie phrase.
it flows into the Murray, as mentioned before, at Wentworth in NSW, 44 kms north-west of Mildura.
** End of Report